Birth Knot: Due Dates and Water Breaking

Our first pregnancy and labor/delivery was a mystery!  We had no idea what to expect, so we did what everyone suggested—went to birthing classes, breastfeeding classes, and a baby safety class.  We registered for gifts, diapers, wipes, crib, strollers, diaper bags…all the things we “thought” we needed—two kids later and that list shrunk considerably! 

Noah’s due date was June 8th.  That morning, I had my 40 week appointment with my OB and according to her I was about 1cm dilated and 80% effaced.  I headed home, not expecting him to come anytime soon.  We proceeded to take initiating labor into our own hands.  We hit all the stops—spicy Mexican food for dinner, a walk afterwards, and if all else failed, we would be having sex one last time!  Well, we made it through dinner, and the walk, and around 7pm or 8pm, labor pains began.  For a while, I didn’t know what was going on.  Eventually, I decided to take a shower, pack up, and call my parents to let them know we would be heading out to the hospital.  After about 8+ hours laboring at home, we headed in with contractions at the 5-1-1 rule.  

When we got to the hospital, they told us I was only at 2cm.  I was so exhausted already!  I had tried to sleep, but no luck, so I had been up for over 24 hours.  They suggested I either go home, wait it out at the hospital, or take some morphine to basically get some “medicated sleep”.  I didn’t want to drive all the way home, and I desperately wanted to sleep, so I took the morphine.  That was at about 8am.  As I attempted to sleep, I found myself waking for every contraction, and dosing in between.  Finally, around 2pm sleep was not a reality, I was starving, and the contractions were even more intense.  So, I ordered some toast!  As I attempted to eat, I couldn’t keep my eyes open—my body was spent!  When the nurse checked me, I was only at 4cm.  I continued to labor a bit longer, and progressed to 7cm.  At this point, I was “stuck” and not progressing.  At about 4pm, my OB decided that breaking my water may get me to 10cm. The second my water broke, I felt such a release of pressure.  Quickly, I went from 7cm to 10cm.  I told my OB I felt like I had to push.  Of course, they responded, “Not yet! You’re not at 10cm!”  But, I couldn’t help it.  I began pushing around 5pm, and only pushed for about 45 minutes before our little man was out.  As his head emerged, the doc told me I had to stop pushing—I found out later, the cord was wrapped around his neck.  But, again, I could not control the pushing, so he flew out, both shoulders together.  He had arrived.  I was exhausted, but so happy to have Noah in my arms.  I had many tears spent while being sewn up.  The experience was wonderful, and I believe that the “unknown” allowed me to get through the labor on my own.