Birth Knot: Punctual and Posterior

Birth Knot Cord

I became pregnant with my first child in November 2007.  My pregnancy was relatively healthy and uneventful.  My husband and I had planned on an unmedicated hospital birth.  Although I was extremely interested in labor and delivery, my education was a bit lacking.  I remember being so discouraged the night before my due date.  I really just wanted to meet my baby and I most certainly did not want to go into work the next day and have my co-workers point out the fact that I was still pregnant.  As luck would have it, I awoke at 1:00 a.m. to my water breaking!  This little boy was quite punctual.  I was not having contractions yet but we headed into the hospital anyway.  After switching rooms twice, we were finally settled around 3:00 a.m.  After a cervical check I was 2cm, which was one more than I was at my 39 week exam, so I was moving in the right direction.  I was much too excited to actually sleep but tried to rest as best I could.  At this point I was having timeable contractions but they weren't strong or really uncomfortable at all.  Around 6:00 a.m., and at 4cm, the nurse started talking pitocin.  She said that my contractions, although regular, were not "productive" enough.  I REALLY did not want pitocin so I asked if we could wait.  They gave me until 8:00 a.m. and when I was checked, I was still at 4cm and pitocin was ordered.  This is when things get a little fuzzy for me.  When my contractions really kicked into gear, I went somewhere else in my mind.  I really liked laboring on the ball and stayed there for most of the day.  Sometime in the late afternoon my contractions started to couple and then triple.  I was getting very little relief in between contractions and my nurse asked me to get back into bed.  My sweet, baby boy was OP in my belly.  He also had his neck bent backwards, like he was trying to look straight out the exit.  He wasn't going to make this easy, that was for sure!

About 6:00 p.m. I was checked again and I was at 6cm.  The baby's head was putting almost no pressure on my cervix since he was twisted so funny.  I was discouraged.  My hopes of an unmedicated birth were diminishing.  I started talking to my husband about getting the epidural.  I was so tired, sleeping between contractions and knew I still had so much work ahead of me.  He was reluctant to give in to me (I had warned him that he wasn't allowed to let me give in!  He knew what I really wanted).  During our "discussion" I started to feel the urge to push.  In fact, my body was already pushing, uncontrollably.  I had to convince my nurse that I actually felt pressure since they had checked me only 10 minutes prior.  Reluctantly, she did check me again and I had progressed to 8cm.  With each contraction, however, my body was bearing down.  As much as I tried, I couldn't breathe through that urge.  My cervix started to swell and I decided to go ahead with the epidural, if only to get my body relaxed.  After my epidural, I slept.  I slept until the nurse came in to have me switch from one side to the other.  My baby's heartbeat became unsteady.  The doctor came in at about 9:00 p.m. and decided that she wasn't comfortable waiting this out (I still had not progressed any further) and said she was going to proceed with a c-section.  I was so tired.  I felt like a failure.  As they prepped me for surgery I became overwhelmed with anxiety, I wasn't sure I would be able to lie still on the operating table.  I wanted to run away as fast as I could, and I would have except for that epidural!  As soon as I knew he was out and healthy I fell asleep on the operating table.  My son was born at 9:50 p.m. on his due date weighing 8lbs.  He introduced me to a love like I had never experienced before.